- A magazine that is at the forefront of PHP knowledge. It's a great resource to keep up to date with new trends and training.
- News aggregation site that pulls from various blogs and community sites and includes a synopsis of each syndicated post.
- Planet PHP
- Aggregation site for some of the best PHP blogs on the internet.
- Zend Developer Zone
- One of the largest PHP communities online. Great web site for learning about Zend resources and news.
- Chris Shiflett
- A web architect / security analyst and founder of the PHP Security Consortium. His web site and books are a must for anyone wanting to learn more about web application security.
- HTML Purifier
- A standards-compliant HTML filter library.
- An open source web application firewall.
- PHP Security Consortium
- An international group of PHP experts dedicated to promoting secure programming practices within the PHP community through a variety of resources including documentation, tools, and standards.
Frameworks / Libraries
- Rapid development framework that provides an extensible architecture for developing, maintaining, and deploying applications.
- Powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for PHP coders who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications.
- eZ Components
- A general purpose library of components that can be used independently or together
- Framework focusing on rapid development. Provides a fully namespaced environment that utilizes enterprise application design patterns for developing, maintaining, and deploying applications.
- Framework providing an architecture, components, and tools for developers to build complex web applications faster.
- Zend Framework
- Framework providing a simple, reliable, object-oriented foundation upon which to build secure Web 2.0 applications and web services.
- Cruise Control
- Framework for a continuous build process that includes plugins for email notification, Ant, various source controls and more.
- Firefox Web Developer Toolbar
- Extension for Firefox that adds a menu and toolbar to the browser with various web developer tools.
- MySQL Workbench
- Cross-platform visual database design tool developed by MySQL.
- Current standard auto-documentation tool.
- Addon application for Cruise Control that great simplifies its deployment and management.
- Member of the xUnit family of testing frameworks that provides both a framework that simplifies the writing of tests and provides the functionality to easily run tests and analyze their results.
- Selenium IDE
- Selenium IDE is an integrated development environment for Selenium tests. It is implemented as a Firefox extension and allows you to record, edit, and debug tests.
- Selenium RC
- A unit test and web test framework.
- Xdebug Extension for PHP
- PHP extension that provides a plethora of valuable debugging information.
- Alternative PHP Cache
- Free, open, and robust framework for caching and optimizing PHP intermediate code.
- Web server with a small memory footprint that effectively manages the CPU load and has an advanced feature set including support for FastCGI, SCGI, auth, output compression, and URL rewriting.
- High-performance memory object caching system that speeds up dynamic web applications by alleviating database load.
- Ultra Monkey
- Project to create load balanced and highly available network services.
- YSlow for Firebug
- Firefox extension that integrates with the Firebug web development tool to analyze web pages and tell you why they're slow based on rules for high performance web sites.
- Code Complete, 2nd edition by Steve McConnell, ISBN 0735619670
- Joel On Software by Joel Spolsky, ISBN 1590593898
- Patterns of Enterprise Architecture by Martin Fowler, ISBN 0321127420
- The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas, ISBN 020161622X
- Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code by Martin Fowler, ISBN 0201485672